Parabolic Dish Set
- matched system of CCM microphone (or CMC 1 L + MK) and parabolic dish for highest directivity at medium and high frequencies
- application: nature recordings, sports broadcasts, sound design
- for best results use with free EQ plugin "ParabolEQ"
- strong protection against wind noise due to innovative design using a Rycote windshield with fur
- sets available with omni, wide cardioid or cardioid CCM microphone
- OEM parabolic dish from Telinga
- No. 163201 CCM 4 Parabolic dish set
- No. 163202 CCM 21 Parabolic dish set
- No. 163203 CCM 2 Parabolic Dish Set
- No. 163101 Parabolic dish (without microphone)
A parabolic dish is an extraordinary tool in the hands of a skilled sound engineer, since it achieves a surprisingly high directivity at high and medium frequencies with relatively simple means. With this new parabolic dish system consisting of a special OEM parabolic dish from Telinga and a Schoeps CCM microphone (or CMC 1 L + MK), these characteristics can fully be realized. In addition we achieved significant improvements in terms of some usual disadvantages of a parabolic dish system by several innovative measures.
The enormous directivity of a parabolic dish often comes with a very unbalanced frequency response, which also varies widely for different directions of sound incidence. This usually leads to a clear coloration. To overcome that, the SCHOEPS Parabolic Dish Set is a matched system. The microphone position is designed to produce a smooth frequency response (unusual for a parabolic system) for the three recommended CCM microphone (or CMC 1 L + MK) types. Although the frequency response is now smooth, it is not yet even, so must still be equalized. This is automatically achieved with our free plugin ParabolEQ. The plugin performs filtering based on the entered application parameters, producing a flat frequency response between 100 Hz and 20 kHz. The correction curve is visualized accordingly.
The new design with an OEM Rycote windscreen leads to a high attenuation of wind noise on the microphone. The optionally available high wind cover or - if the parabolic dish must be transparent - the included windjammer provide further damping of strong wind.
If the inevitable wind noise on the dish itself is low enough for recording, disturbances to the microphone are thus reliably avoided.
Selection of the microphone type
The three recommended microphone types are:
- CCM 2 compact microphone omni-directional (or CMC 1 L + MK 2)
- CCM 21 compact microphone wide cardioid (or CMC 1 L + MK 21)
- CCM 4 compact microphone cardioid (or CMC 1 L + MK 4)
These types lead to different results and properties of the system. Therefore, the sound engineer should choose wisely.
The omni is the usual microphone for recording with a parabolic dish. This type of microphone causes fewer problems with handling noise and wind noise. The directivity is good and the recording of very low frequencies is possible - although without directivity - but at a good level. This can be an advantage if low-frequency ambience is desired. The frequency response is not so smooth compared to a cardioid due to the high level of the signal on the unwanted direct path between source and microphone.
The wide cardioid is a good compromise between the advantages and disadvantages of omni and cardioid. Wind and handling noise are a little more damped compared to the cardioid and the directivity is higher than when using an omni.
The cardioid achieves the best directivity and the smoothest frequency response (due to the highest suppression of the direct path between source and microphone). However, there can be handling noise when the dish can not be kept still.
It is important that all CCM microphones are mounted with their 0° direction pointing towards the dish!
Setup and transport
Transport of the system is very easy because the dish can easily be folded without disassembly of the components. If the entire system is disassembled, the dish can be rolled up in the optionally available soft case and brought to a minimum pack size. For the remaining accessories a Pelicase is optionally available.
The CCM microphone can be easily changed. Furthermore, an XLR output in the handle also allows the system to be connected to a standard microphone cable.
For details about the setup of the system and the positioning of the microphone, please refer to the manual in the download area below.
Further information on the components can also be found on the website of Telinga.
Set No. 163201/02/03 includes:
- No. 221015/03/01: microphone CCM 4/21/2 incl. premium box, SGC clamp, K 5 LU: 5 m adapter cable Lemo --> XLR
- Alternative: No. 232012 CMC 1 L + No. 231015 MK 4/No. 231003 MK 21/No. 231002 MK 2)
- No. 163101: Par-1 kit incl. :
- Parabolic dish 22inch foldable, transparent
- Handle including the fixed microphone cable
- Microphone holder with Rycote windshield incl. mounting kit (gray tube, gray&black ring)
- Rycote fake-fur Windjammer
Further accessories are optionallly available, see also http://www.telinga.com/products/accessories/
- No. 163901: Soft Case to carry the folded dish
- No. 163902: Tripod Mount
- No. 163903: Rycote High Wind Cover, black (also available in green on request)
- No. 163904: Peli hard case 1400 (standard version) for the unmounted dish accessories
100 Hz - 20 kHz (empfohlener Übertragungsbereich des Parabol-Systems)
-25 dB (V/Pa), 56 mV/Pa (CCM 2)
-26 dB (V/Pa), 51 mV/Pa (CCM 21)
-26 dB (V/Pa), 52 mV/Pa (CCM 4)
|Equivalent noise level (A-weighted)||
0 dB (CCM 2)
2 dB (CCM 21)
3 dB (CCM 4)
|Maximum sound pressure level (THD < 0.5 %)||
210 mm = 8,3"
163101 Par-1 Kit incl. handle, mirror, microphone holder and fur
Parabolic mirror with windscreen
163201 Parabol-Set, CCM 4
Full set with parabolic dish and microphone. Set including K 5 LU, Par-1 Kit incl. handle, mirror, microphone holder and fur, SGC, CCM 4 L, Premium case for CCM
163202 Parabol-Set, CCM 21
Full set with parabolic dish and microphone. Set including Par-1 Kit incl. handle, mirror, microphone holder and fur, K 5 LU, SGC, Premium case for CCM, CCM 21 L
163203 Parabol-Set, CCM 2
Full set with parabolic dish and microphone. Set including K 5 LU, Par-1 Kit incl. handle, mirror, microphone holder and fur, SGC, CCM 2 L, Premium case for CCM
163211 Parabol-Set, CMC 1 L, MK 4
Full set with parabolic dish and microphone. Set including Par-1 Kit incl. handle, mirror, microphone holder and fur, K 5 LU, CMC 1 L, SGC, Premium case for CCM, MK 4
163212 Parabol-Set, CMC 1 L, MK 21
Full set with parabolic dish and microphone. Set including CMC 1 L, MK 21, K 5 LU, Par-1 Kit incl. handle, mirror, microphone holder and fur, SGC, Premium case for CCM
163213 Parabol-Set, CMC 1 L, MK 2
Full set with parabolic dish and microphone. Set including Par-1 Kit incl. handle, mirror, microphone holder and fur, K 5 LU, MK 2, CMC 1 L, SGC, Premium case for CCM